Wanting natural relief for hay fever symptoms?
Those of you who suffer from hay fever will be happy to hear there are some natural remedies that will help relieve the symptoms. These might include:
- removing all dairy products from your diet & increasing intake of vegetables
- supplementation with Spirulina and mineral salts
- using soothing eyedrops and sinus drops
- using herbal remedies such as Echinacea, Fenugreek, Marshmallow or Horseradish
- boosting your immune system with Garlic, Vitamin C and Bioflavanoids
What causes hay fever?
If you’re trailing tissues in your wake as you mop up unrelenting post nasal drip it’s a sign your immune system is over-reacting to environmental allergens and producing too much histamine. Histamine triggers localised inflammation as part of the body’s normal defensive response.
When your immune system is out of balance it becomes hypersensitive and an exaggerated histamine response is produced, manifesting as an allergy or an autoimmune disease.
Allopathic medicine attempts to control the symptoms of a heightened immune response with antihistamine drugs. These are at best a short term solution, relieving the distressing symptoms while creating any of a long list of adverse effects, the most common one being drowsiness. They do not address the underlying problem of an under-functioning immune system.
What are natural remedies for hay fever?
The first step in effective treatment of hay fever symptoms is to remove all dairy products from your diet, as their mucus-forming action exacerbates sinusitis and rhinitis and any tendency towards asthma. Increase your intake of green, red, orange and yellow vegetables – they are rich sources of health boosting anti-congestants and antioxidants.
- Balancing your cell chemistry with the right combination of mineral salts creates the foundation for a healthy immune response. Scheussler’s Combination Q is a specific formula for the relief of sinusitis and catarrh.
- A daily dosage of 2000mg or more of Spirulina will help both protect against and treat allergic rhinitis, as in vivo studies have shown.
- Honey or Bee Pollen eaten daily will help alleviate hay fever symptoms, because bee pollen helps desensitise your immune system to the effects of other pollens.
- Weleda offers two types of Sinus Drops, one for thick catarrh with blocked sinuses and another for the clear watery discharge typical of hayfever. One of my favourite anti-inflammatory herbs for relieving just about any eye condition including irritations and infections is Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis). Use it topically as eyedrops or eyewash – I get good results with Weleda’s Euphrasia 3x Soothing Eyedrops. Eyebright is also a great remedy taken internally in tincture, extract or tablet form to help soothe mucus membranes and relieve the symptoms of hay fever and conjunctivitis.
- Garlic is well known as nature’s number one antibiotic and in addition is very effective in combating hay fever symptoms. It boosts your immune function and contains quercetin, a natural antihistamine.
- Flooding your system with Vitamin C and Bioflavanoids will help reduce your allergy symptoms and improve your overall immunity. For maximum absorption take several doses throughout the day and build up to 3-5 grams per day in the acute stage.
List of hayfever herbal remedies
- Horseradish is a decongestant herb, great for relief of runny nose, watering eyes and catarrhal states. As well as eliminating excess mucus it has a valuable antiseptic action.
- Echinacea will support and strengthen your immune system, improving function and reducing an excessive histamine reaction.
- Fenugreek calms and soothes inflamed tissues, helping relieve irritable coughs and expel congestion.
- Marshmallow has a demulcent action, soothing mucus membranes and helping heal those tissues that are raw from continued coughing, blowing and sneezing.
These are just a few of the many hay fever herbs that can be taken individually or in combination for natural relief of the symptoms of excess histamine reaction.
By Carolyn Simon, Naturopath
HealthPost have a range of quality Hay fever supplements which combine two or more of these key ingredients into a formulation specifically designed to provide natural relief from hayfever symptoms.
We’d Love Your Feedback
What did you find the most effective treatment for hayfever?
Any other comments regarding hayfever?
Please leave a comment below…