Anyone can relate to the moment in the morning that the whole family is getting ready and you are figuring out what healthy and enjoyable snack you can add to your child’s lunch box? Here is a great recipe that also provides you with a fun activity: get into the kitchen with your children and make these delicious Raw Cacao Energy Bars together!
These high nutrient Raw Cacao Energy Bars are a great snack to have on hand any time of the day. With the goodness of sesame, chia seeds, linseed and walnuts, they also make use of the natural sweetness of cacao nibs, coconut and dried fruit. Feel free to get creative and play around with different dried fruits like mango, apricots, cranberries or figs. You could also replace the cacao nibs by small bits of 72% dark chocolate.
- Coconut Oil – rich in vitamins, essential minerals and dietary fibre
- Chia seeds – high in protein and antioxidants, Omega oils and essential amino acids
- Cacao nibs – rich source of magnesium, antioxidants and feel-good nutrients
As with most of the BioBalance recipes these energy bars are also wheat, gluten and dairy free and have no added sweeteners other than dried fruit. And they are uncooked; just give them time to chill in the fridge before cutting and using. Aside a lunchbox favourite, they make a good pick-me-up in the middle of the afternoon or a nice gift in a pretty box. They keep well for up to a week, but we can’t guarantee that the kids and you will be able to keep your hands off them!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup BioBalance Organic Chia Seeds
- 1/3 cup ground linseed
- 1/4 cup BioBalance Organic Sweetened Cacao Nibs
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1-2 tbsp melted BioBalance Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, if needed
- Keep a little of the dry ingredients aside and put the rest in the food processor
- Add the dates and raisins and process until everything starts to stick together. If too dry, add more dates or coconut oil
- Put in the dry ingredients that were left aside and mix in with your hands
- Press into a lined pan and set in the fridge for an hour or more
- Cut into bars and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week