Your body is a natural detoxifying machine! Support it daily with these simple daily habits:
1. Water. It’s essential! Water nourishes our cells by carrying nutrients, and helps clear waste. It supports clear skin, and healthy bowel motions, and a focussed mind. Aim for 30mL per kg of your body weight each day of filtered water or herbal tea.
2. Fibre. Fibre helps to move waste through the bowel. Fibre is present in most wholefoods – fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, pulses, and wholegrains. Fibre also supports healthy cholesterol levels. Vegetables should be the main source of fibre in the diet, with appropriate amounts of wholegrains as determined by your level of activity.
3. Protein. Protein provides our body with amino acids which are then used for many functions including a role within the immune system and normal detoxification. Protein can be found in meat, eggs, fish, seeds, and in many functional supplements like protein powders.
4. Exercise. Moving our body supports the movement of our lymphatic system. The lymphatic system carries metabolic waste from our cells. Exercise is great for circulation, helping nutrients get from the top of our head to the tips of our toes.
5. Sleep. Sleeping is a prime time for your body to be repairing and rejuvenating. Proper sleep supports good energy and a sense of wellbeing, as well as allowing the specialised lymph system in the brain to work better. Aim for 7 – 9 ours of solid sleep in a darkened room with no cell phone in the room.
6. Vegetables. As well as being high in fibre, vegetables contain a huge array of phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals that assist the body as antioxidants to detoxify harmful toxins in the liver. Aim for half your plate to be coloured vegetables (i.e not potatoes) at each meal.