There’s nothing quite like the smell of homemade Christmas mince pies straight from the oven! These gluten and dairy free mini pies taste just like the original and are sure to be a favourite at any Christmas gathering this year.
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1 large apple, finely grated
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 tsp powdered nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp powdered cloves
- 1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 4 cm fresh ginger, minced
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon (1/4 cup total liquid)
- 5 cups ground almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Desiccated coconut for decoration (optional)
- To make the fruit mince: add all filling ingredients into a food processor and pulse until chopped and well mixed. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- To make the pastry: preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius on fan bake and prepare 2 mini silicone muffin pans.
- Combine all pastry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir through with a spatula until dough comes together. Knead with hands a couple of times if needed.
- Divide the dough in half. Place one half between two large sheets of baking paper, roll out until 3mm thick. Remove top sheet.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out pastry circles and gently press into each muffin pan from the edges in. Patch any cracks with extra dough. Prick the bottom of each pastry cup with a toothpick 3-5 times.
- Pre-bake the pastry for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Roll out the remaining dough as above, and using a small star cookie cutter, cut out 24 stars.
- Fill each pastry cup with the fruit mince mix and top with a star. Place back into the oven for another 10 minutes until the stars turn golden brown.
- Once cooled, dust with finely desiccated coconut and store in an airtight container. Can be kept for one week.