These Tamari roasted nuts and seeds are a fantastic kids’ lunchbox snack! They are also great tossed through fresh salads or stir-fry’s and make a perfect addition to grazing platters at your next summer get-together.
We always recommend soaking your nuts and seeds, as this makes their nutrients more available for the body to absorb, not to mention it makes them crunchy and delicious! As a general rule, soak nuts for 8 hours or overnight, and 4 hours for seeds.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 TB tamari
- 1 TB honey
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Pre-soak the almonds, in water for 8 hours or overnight and pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds for only 4 hours.
- Once soaked for appropriate time rinse and drain nuts and seeds.
- Pre-heat oven to 140°C and prepare a lined baking tray
- Spread pre-soaked almonds onto try and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine tamari, honey and coconut oil.
- After 20-25 minutes remove tray from oven, add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and coat in tamari mixture. Return the tray back to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on the colour of the nuts, they should just be golden brown. Be careful not to burn them. This can happen quite quickly.
- Once done, remove form oven and let cool. Store in a glass jar.